Sunday, December 24, 2006

Maligayang Pasko Mula sa Pilipinas!

At last, the long awaited Christmas is here! Merry Christmas to everyone and especially to all my fellow bloggers!

It had been a hectic week as I've tried to prepare for Christmas Day. As you may already have seen in my previous photos, I did some shopping for all my godchildren, nioeces, nephews, loved ones, and friends. At the end of it all, I was exhausted and depleted of cash!

But no big deal, as I've already prepared for a penniless Christmas...:)

Indeed, I agree with the general consensus that we need at least one more week to prepare for Christmas ( or at least to postpone it a week later)

A month before Christmas, my wife and I (with the help of our little daughter JM), decorated our house with Yuletide adoornments. I bought a small Christmas tree and fitted it with little angels and candies. I also hung a nice Parol in front of our house because nothing signifies Philippine Pasko better than a nice lighted Parol.

To keep the tradition going, I heard the customary Simbang Gabi mass at Quiapo starting December 16. It is something I always do every Christmas holiday. After hearing mass, I didn't forget to eat my favorite Bibingka and Puto Bumbong ...

The Bibingka is my favorite especially if it is freshly baked with butter and sliced salted egg on top. I used to dip my Bibingka into a hot tea and by Gad, that feels very delicious and refreshing at early morning!

Every night since December 16, little kids form themselves in front of my house, and with Tambols(made from empty Bonna Milk can) tambourines(made out of alambre and flattened tansans) and sing out-of-tune Christmas songs. I prepared small coins for them, hoping that 10 pesos would be enough...but I found that they come back every night....with the same Tambols and out-of-tune carols. Those kids!

I really miss being a kid during Christmas, though. I remember my Nanay bringing us all to Avenida Rizal to shop for new clothes. We used to shop in Good Earth, SM Carriedo, or Syvel's( now closed). Back then, I prefer Texwood jeans or Mr. Lee, while my older siblings prefer Levi's or Wrangler.

My Tatay worked abroad so he was almost never home during Christmas. Instead, he just sends a tape recording of his messages for us. Well, back then, with the absence of the internet, that's already high tech! (Now that he's retired, we all have our family reunion every Christmas, to make up for those earlier Christmas witout him)

Anyway, after shopping, Nanay would bring us to eat in either Panciteria Ramon Lee or Panciteria Manosa in Ongpin, where would order delicious Spiced Ham, Pancit, and Fried Chicken. Oh those were the good 'old days!

Now, it's already me guiding my kid in Avenida to shop and I felt the same responsibility of my loving parents towards me as a child back in the olden days. I accompanied my daughter to Avenida a few days ago to shop for her presents.
At age five, she just chooses the toys over the clothes. Good thing her mother already shopped for her new shoes and overalls. She chose a nice Barbie doll and Toy Kitchen set, which I approved.

I wanted to eat at Panciteria Ramon Lee but she refused...pointing instead to MacDonalds. Anyway, I just took out Pancit from Ramon Lee and proceeded to MacDonalds for my daughter's lunch. I almost failed to realize that kids nowadays indeed prefer fast foods and those that they see advertised on the television.

Before going home, I bought a whole leg of ham from Hamon Excellente in Quiapo. It was something that we always have at Noche Buena, and man, it's really delicious! I couldn't wait to go home to have it sliced and served to my family.

Before Noche Buena, the whole family went to Quiapo to hear mass. Afterwards, we proceeded home and partook of the traditional Noche Buena. I was glad to see some of my nieces and nephews arriving, as it had been quite sometime that we hadn't seen each other due to each's own work and busy schedule. It was a joyous feast as we exchanged gifts to one another.

Early morning as I was writing this, my inaanaks (godchildren) came to my house one by one. They didn't surprise me, though, as I've already prepared something for them. Good thing I encashed newly-printed 100 peso bills from the bank and I distributed it to them. After the last inaanak went out, I found that all my cash was gone!

Anyway..that's Christmas..a time of giving..a time of merriment for young children..and a time for penniless ninongs!

Mery Christmas to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment