Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Little Boy

As always, it was traffic in Avenida Rizal and this poor street child took the opportunity to climb into jeepneys and clean the passengers' shoes with his handy cleaning cloth. Some passengers gave him a few spare coins for his services. He then debarked the jeepney and came directly into the front of my car. He couldn't climb inside, so he just wiped his cloth into my car's fender. I could see in his eyes his determination to survive in this cruel world we live in. I took pity on the little creature and gave him the few remaining coins in my pocket. Little people always have a special place in my heart.
I would have loved to interview this boy but the traffic suddenly moved on and the jeepneys and cars began to rush forward. The intrepid child beat a hasty retreat and scampered in between vehicles trying his best to avoid the rushing automations. In a minute he was gone, lost from my view and into the murky jungle of vehicles and automobiles of Avenida Rizal.

No comments:

Post a Comment