Friday, December 10, 2010

Cubao Rush Hour


It happens every night in Aurora Boulevard Cubao: people lining the streets waiting for the jeepney, bus, Fx, or taxicabs that will bring them home. As it happened, rush hour in Cubao is a protracted one. It starts at 4 o'clock in the afternoon and ends at about 10 in the evening, when the people begin to thin out. The photos above and below were taken at about 9 in the evening.

I pity the people who do this on a daily basis. Imagine having to work everyday for eight hours, be it in the office or the construction site, and then waiting in line for hours in the streets afterwards, longing for the much needed rest at home, and there weren't enough vehicles to transport them home. And when they finally get to board a vehicle, the hours of traffic ahead still add fatigue to the already tired body.

I myself experienced this for several years, and I know the pains and the exhaustion of this kind of commuting. In the end, I decided to quit work, because I knew I will not be able to survive this kind of existence, that this will either take a toll on my health, or I'd look older than my age. Maybe I wasn't built so tough, and I must have thought there was more to life than chasing buses and jeepneys. But for many people, this is already an inescapable part of living or working in busy Cubao.












No comments:

Post a Comment