Monday, May 21, 2007

Ahhh it's the monsoon season once again in the Philippines. It is the time of the year when the mornings and afternoons are hot and humid..and then in late afternoons, out of nowhere, clouds will begin to form and lash out heavy rains-complete with peals of thunder and bursts of lighning.

After an hour or so, the rain would suddenly stop, the sun would shine again, and the heat and humidity continues.

On these rainy afternoons, I often sleep in my room with the airconditioning on, and then I wrap myself tightly in a thick blanket. I find it very relaxing, the sweet sound of the rain like sweet music lulling me to sleep.

Indeed, nothing compares to this blissful feeling...of sleeping comfortably in your own bed, hugging a soft pillow...dreaming of beautiful things.....Half-awake and half-asleep..I visualize that I'm in paradise... ahhh how relaxing!

And then I sensed something in my forehead....what is it?

It feels cold ...and it feels wet...

My ceiling is dripping rain...right on my forehead.

At first it was one drip...and then two...and then in a maddening rush it continues until it's a steady trickle.......Lazily, I get up to remedy the situation.

I have to stop this trickle of rain. If I don't act sooner, my whole bed will get soaked. And then my room..and then my books...My quick but stupid thinking led me to look at my arinola....oh no..it shouldn't be..I didn't want my arinola to be filled with rainwater..overflowing in my bed..

Piling clothes and sheets to where the rain was dripping, I frantically searched my toolbox and found Mighty Bond..but my common sense tells me it wouldn't work....How about a masking tape?

Why not?

I started taping masking tape in the very spot where the rain was dripping. Here..there ..and even farther....my ceiling now looks like it had gotten a serious injury.....but at least the dripping had stopped.... I'm always succesful at fixing things....

Well, the actual reason was that the rain had suddenly stopped too.

It is indeed monsoon season in the Philippines. I have to sleep again and try to imagine that it's raining.

After all sleeping during rainy afternoons is one of the best free things in life.

That is, unless you don't have a hole in your ceiling....

No comments:

Post a Comment