Friday, September 14, 2007

Searching for Caparas' Komiks

I left office early afternoon yesterday to go to Quiapo to hear the traditional Friday mass. Anyway, the second reason for going there is to buy the new komiks titles of Carlo J. Caparas. It had been months that I'm anxiously awaiting these new komiks and I can't get them off my mind even while trying to hear Father Ramirez' homily.

After the mass, I went to Ma Mon Luk in Quezon Blvd. to eat as I'm already feeling hungry. On the way, I kept on looking at the newsstands to buy Carlo Caparas' Komiks. The sellers told me that they were sold out. And so I arrived in Ma Mon Luk still without my komiks.

My waiter is already waiting for me as he knew that I usually eat there after hearing the evening mass.

I ordered Special Siopao (50 pesos) and regular Mami (80 pesos) and Coke (15 pesos). The food is delicious, but I can't help but feel that I was dining in one of the old cafes in Manila during the 1950s.
The old ambience, with the antique ceiling fans and old pictures hanging in the walls give Ma Mon Luk restaurant an antique look.

After dining, I went to search once more for Carlo Caparas' Komiks. As it turned out, most of the newsstands have sold it out a few hours ago. Apparently some guy bought all their copies with the intent of hoarding them. At 10 pesos each copy( and the five Caparas komiks are all Vol.1 No.1.), I understood the reason.

But I can't just give up. There should still be some copies left here in Quiapo, and I'll turn downtown Manila upside down to find them. I need to find them to update my microsite in Wikipilipinas. I'm currently building a komiks encyclopedia and almanac within Wikipilipinas. Now I won't let another person become the first to put on the Wikipilipinas information on these Caparas' Komiks. If there is one person to show them in Wikipilipinas, it should be me.

Fortunately, a nice seller told me to go to Palanca because he thought he still saw some copies there. I went immediately otherwise they may be bought by someone else.

I found the seller, but alas, no more copies left. He told me though that he still have some copies he was reserving to someone else. If I want to buy them, then he'd sell them to me for 20 pesos per copy. Deal or no deal?

Now, I don't usually deal with greedy people, but as it was already getting late, and I need to update my Wiki komiks encyclopedia, I agreed even if paying double. And now, I finally have the complete 5 komiks titles of Caparas. I already uploaded their preview in Wikipilipinas.

Here they are:

Gwapo Komiks Vol.1 No.1


OFW Super Stories Vol.1 No.1


Super Funny Komix Vol.1 No.1


Klasik Komiks Vol.1 No.1

If you want to know more about these komiks, buy them (if copies are still available), or visit Wikipilipinas for a preview.

No comments:

Post a Comment