Thursday, October 4, 2007

An Impromptu Trip to Calbayog

I took the weekend vacation to make an impromptu trip to Calbayog City, Samar. I will be a godfather, and it's a good opportunity to strengthen an old friendship. It will also be a good time to renew my connection to the rural atmosphere. Having lived in the smoke and dusty environs of Manila all my life, I felt that a regular journey to the countrysides can be a sort of release from the stress and tension of metro living.

But as it happened, while on the journey, my mind still wandered on so many unfinished works in my part-time job. It's about the work commissioned to me to build an online Encyclopedia of Komiks. Although the work is fun and I have all the necessary materials for it, the nagging sense that I had to finish the groundwork before the year is out is not very easy to think, especially as I'm doing the work alone, and no assistants to help me or editors to correct my writing. Building an encyclopedia in a few months time is no easy task, I should say. Anyway, more on that later. .

Well, the trip to Calbayog helped me regenerate my energies. I come back refreshed--breathed fresh air, ate fresh seafoods and vegetables. I was also able to meet a few old friends, renew acquaintances.

Best of all, I was able to reshoot my beloved photos of Samar. My Nikon D40x helped me a lot to do this. The smallest dslr today, it felt like just a compact digicam in my hand. I felt that the burden of carrying an slr is becoming a thing of the past, as more and more smaller yet more powerful cameras come out in the market regularly.

I made the trip to Calbayog amidst the path of Typhoon Hanna. It was not the first trip that I had running against a typhoon. In 2002, while on a sea voyage to Corregidor, our ship (a navy ship), happened to cross the path of a typhoon. It was a frightening experience (I was on the ship getting free ride to Corregidor). A passenger ship on the way to Manila sank, killing several passengers and our ship had to help retrieve the dead and survivors. We were not able to set foot to Corregidor and spent the whole day and night searching for bodies.

Typhoon Hanna delayed our trip for several hours. By the time I got to Calbayog, however, the weather had improved. I heard from the radio that Hanna was already in its path to Taiwan.

Anyway, here are the photos of my weekend trip to Calbayog. I hope you'll enjoy and at the same time forgive the low-quality composed pictures. Just think that through these pictures you have travelled with me to that far corner in the Philippines.



I had taken the seat at the back..because the front seats are already occupied by the early birds.




Good thing though, as there are no curious co-passengers to see me photographing the road we were treading.



Stranded passengers waiting for the go-signal to enter the ship for the voyage across the San Bernardino Strait, between Matnog, Sorsogon and Allen, Samar. The sky had cleared down a bit.



The rain didn't do too much disturbance to the sea. Shot while re-entering the bus in Allen, Samar.



This is Calbayog Taxi. Yes, they are like little jeepneys, or big trycicles. One ride anywhere in the villages is 10 pesos per person.



The main road of Calbayog.



Sea Rock Hotel along the Maharlika Hi-Way in Calbayog City. Behind the hotel is the Bagacay Beach. I chose to stay here for the two-day visit.



Another seaside hotel in Calbayog is "Seaside Drive Inn" . It also has cable TV, hot shower, and nice queen size bed.


The road to the city.




The old plaza of Calbayog, with Rizal monument.



A regular visitor to my blog requested that I shoot an interior of the Calbayog Cathedral (I think it was Gina Togonon of Canada). I abide to her request. Here it is, Gina.




Calbayog City Rural Market



A Stingray. Being sold for 500 pesos. I only bought 1 kilo had it abobo-cooked by my Mother-in-Law. It tasted like a shark.


RURAL SCENERIES



A piglet, for sale for 2,000 pesos. I wanted to buy the poor animal, but I live in Manila and can't take him home.


Early morning neighborhood chat is a favorite hobby(?) among many village people.



I bought a jug of Tuba for my lasenggero friends in Cubao. I myself don't drink too often. It was a long time already since I last tasted liquor. Maybe 2 hours ago.


You will not entirely miss Manila at all in Calbayog. Calbayog also has a Starback coffee shop. And look at the crew, they can readily pose for you for photo-ops.




Going back to Manila at Sunset time.

To be continued...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment