Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cubao-Quiapo, Quiapo-Cubao

A few years ago, going to downtown Manila coming from Cubao (and vice versa), I had to endure hours of traffic riding in a jeepney. But this had changed with the construction of the LRT 3 stretching from Santolan to Recto.

I now prefer riding in the train rather than endure the hassles of jeepney ride. The train is fast and safe, and airconditioned. The time I saved from traffic I could use to walk around downtown Manila and take my photographs. And also to check out the second-hand books in my favorite Recto booksellers

Last Friday afternoon, I decided to have my usual weekly walk around Manila, prior to hearing the Quiapo evening mass.

I usually walk from Recto to Arranque, and then to Chinatown, Binondo, and then into Escolta, I would then proceed to Plaza Sta. Cruz and Carriedo, and into my final destination, Quiapo.

Come and travel with me then, and enjoy some of the views of the Downtown Manila, as seen from the viewfinder of my camera.



The Cubao train arrives. Please step back from the yellow line, says the guard on duty.




A view from the moving train: Quezon Boulevard, Quiapo. The yellow edifice on the right is the Far Eastern University building.



Debarking the train.


One of the food kiosks to be found inside the Recto train station.



C.M. Recto Street, formerly known as Calle Azcarraga


The old Dilson Cinema in Recto



Dilson Cinema


Cine Odeon, corner of Avenida Rizal and Recto



Recto, one of the main thoroughfares in downtown




The old Arranque market.



Entrance to Chinatown



Ongpin Street



Estero de Binondo. The famous estero mentioned in the Noli Me Tangere.



The Binondo Church



Juan Luna Street, formerly known as Calle Anloague



Filipino-Chinese Friendship Arch



The original Savory Fried Chicken, still stand its grounds despite stiff competition from KFC.



An old street in the Binondo



The old Escolta



The ever crowded Carriedo



Quiapo Church

No comments:

Post a Comment