Thursday, June 12, 2008

Memories of Nocturnal Walk in Boac (1)


Boac is a small lovely town caught between the old culture of the past and the modern trappings of the present times. On the one hand it is an old town: its streets are lined with century old houses, and the people still bearing the ancient culture of a bygone age.

On the other hand it is a modern town, too: internet cafes, videoke bars, and other modern facilities can also be seen, a sign of the town's acceptance of modern amenities.

I had stayed in Boac for only about a week. Yet, I wanted to know more of the town, its history, its culture, its people. Although a total stranger, I knew I had to walk its every street. I wanted to observe the town for the sake of observation, and not just because of curiosity or because I wanted to intrude into other peoples' lives.

And so, one night, I slipped out of my hotel room, and photographed the town and its lovely evening life. The people were very friendly and unpretentious, and I came to know many of them. Of course, I didn't want to be rude, and so I photographed only when I knew nobody was looking.

And so here are some of my pictures of that wonderful nocturnal walk in Boac, Marinduque.


Boac Hotel

Tricycle terminal


A street scenery


An old house on a lovely moonlit night


Street scenery


Going to the town fair


The town fair




Another old house



After the town fair

No comments:

Post a Comment