Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry Christmas from the Aetas

Aeta Child
I was stuck in Avenida traffic when suddenly this pretty Aeta girl popped in front of my car's side window, singing an out-of-tune Christmas Carol. I searched for some coins in my pocket but found none. She waited patiently, hoping that I can give her some money. I found a 50 bill, but I told her that she should give me a smile and pose in front of my camera in exchange for my money. She agreed to the business deal and gave me the most charming smile which made my day. I took my shot and she took my money. A great deal that made us both happy! She walked away happily, proudly telling her fellow Aetas that she got 50.

Then suddenly her fellow Aetas were rushing towards me, also hoping to be given some money. One father and child made it first base, and I gave them another 50.

Aeta Father and Son

The other Aetas were also coming forward (I'm not sure if after the photo or the money ;), but alas, the traffic had moved on, and I had to drive my car immediately, as the driver behind me was already honking his horn mad. The Aetas immediately retreated lest the rushing vehicles hit them. I promised to myself, though that I will come back to them on Christmas to distribute foods and some of my unused clothings.

During Christmas season, Aetas come down from the mountains of Zambales, literally walking hundreds of miles all the way to Manila. They rely on donations of food and clothings from people on various towns they are passing by. Once in Manila, they usually camp under bridges or side streets. They wait for their benefactors to give them gifts of food and clothings. While waiting, they ask for some donations from pedestrians and car owners.

The good thing about these Aetas is that they are a solid group, and all the donations are divided equally among the tribe members. They usually walk back to the Zambales mountains after the first week of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment