Saturday, October 24, 2009

Aling Carlita: Yakult Lady

yakultlady

If you're a regular pedestrian in Palengke Blumentritt, Manila, chances are you have already seen Aling Carlita Reyes, 70, peddling around small Yakult milk bottles of Lactobacilli-Shirota strain in her Yakult cart.


But no, Aling Carlita is not your everyday Yakult lady. For one she always come to work in complete Yakult uniform, complete with cap! And she's been selling Yakult for over thirty years now--and because of those three decades of peddling this cultured milk, she had managed to send to college all her five children, who are now all professionals. It's not that she earned a fortune selling Yakult, but as she says, through her "Tiyaga, kayod, at pagtitipid" (Perseverance, hard work, and frugality)


Does Aling Carlita plan to retire soon? "No", she says smiling "I love to work. I have done this work for many years and I would be lonely if I retire. My children all wanted me to retire but I didn't want to stop working. If I stop working, I would probably just sit around in the house and be sickly. Only the sick retires, and I'm very healthy!"



Meanwhile I bought three packs of Yakult from Aling Carlita which instantly made me into her new best friend. As I handed my cash and said goodbye, she said: "Oy may sukli ka pang kwarenta'y tres!!"


I said she can keep the change. We smiled, while I promised to be her regular client from now on. Well, you'll never know when you're helping send a kid go to college by drinking Yakult, do you?



*Disclaimer: this is not a paid ad by Yakult! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment