Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas Season in Manila Downtown (2)

Manila Downtown is the place to go for the ultimate bargain hunting experience in the Philippines. In the Avenida-Carriedo-Quiapo area, hundreds of makeshift stalls compete with numerous established bazaars and shops of odds and ends. You can find everything here for your convenience. But shop with caution as any crowded place is a favorite hunting place of pickpockets and thieves, and Manila downtown is no exception. During this photo shoot, I have observed a strong police presence, the city government's laudable effort to mitigate petty crimes. But then again it is always a good measure to exercise prudence: always keep an eye on your pocket and belongings. I am still fortunate that in my frequent foray in in this motley crowded place, I have not experienced a single incident of my pocket being picked, except when my cellphone was stolen during the Senyor Nazareno procession last January 9, 2009, and that I blame for my carelessness. Lastly, downtown Manila can be a desensitizing experience to a tourist or a first-timer, but once you have adjusted accordingly to the culture shock, you cannot fail to come again and again to this endlessly fascinatingly crowded place.

carriedo5
Traffic at Plaza Goiti, corner of Carriedo and Avenida Rizal, Manila


carriedo-010

carriedo1

carriedo-034

carriedo3

carriedo-043

carriedo2

carriedo4
Calendar 2010 and ampaw seller in Avenida Rizal. Ampaw is the small red envelope that people use to enclose a cash gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment