Tuesday, August 8, 2006

An Afternoon in Sta. Cruz, Manila

(This humble photo-essay is dedicated to my friend Sydney Snoeck, who is one of my favorite photographers. Kindly visit his fascinating Filipino photography website at: http://my_sarisari_store.typepad.com/)



The entrance to Chinatown as seen from Sta. Cruz Plaza. The familiar signages clutter the scenery.


A portion of the Carriedo Fountain in Plaza Sta. Cruz

Perched at the top of the fountain, the Muses overseers the Plaza Sta Cruz. Partially visible at the background is the belfry of Sta. Cruz Church.


The Carriedo Fountain at high shutter speed.



...and at long shutter.......



Strangers can talk like long time buddies in such a gay ambience as the Sta. Cruz Plaza.



Reading the evening news, while waiting for the rush hour to pass by...



Look at the camera says the man..no I'm shy, says the wife!


A Spanish mestizo man sits complacently enjoying the sights at the Carriedo Fountain

Barbecue--Filipino style..Chicken and pork innards, meat and frozen blood are the specialty of this sidewalk grill. Foreigners are always challenged by Filipinos to sample a taste of these local barbecues.


Time to eat a freshly grilled Isaw barbecue for only 5 pesos per stick.


Waiting.....

And praying.....?Well, maybe, because he is facing Sta. Cruz Church...


People of the fountain. They seem to sit all day long around the benches of the Carriedo Fountain.

The cigarette lady doesn't want to be photographed lest she be discovered as a movie star. And so she hid her face in her hands.



But then, she finally relented when I convinced her that her photo will not appear in FHM!


You will not go hungry in Manila even if you only have ten pesos in your pocket. This vendor's mais is both filling, and nutricious.



You shoot me, I shoot you! I found this little street kid playing around near the Carriedo fountain. When I decided to take his picture with my Canon, he imitated my pose and took his own shot of me. Looks like he's got a formidable invisible camera (could it be a rival Nikon? hehe). I bet his shutter is faster than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment