Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas in the Philippines (2)

Calle Raon is a busy street in downtown Manila, and more so during Christmas time, where everyone goes to shop for more affordable gifts to loved ones.




Cheap dvd players from China are very popular because most people can afford them. For as cheap as 1,200 pesos, one can already own a dvd player. Some have very unusual brand names: Suny(imitation of Sony), Sanyi(imitation of Sanyo), or Phelips (imitation of Philips). They work well, though...I have tried one and it works great...


...the dvd discs are very cheap,too...because they are just pirateds...the average price per disc is 35-50 pesos. I didn't want to patronize fake products so I just limited myself to buy only 20 pieces pirated dvds every week.


A tiangge stall in Avenida sells very affordable toys. For as cheap as 20 pesos, you can give a nice toy truck as Christmas gift to your beloved nephew, or a nice doll for a niece...won't you buy one for your inaanak also?


Bargain apparels are all over Avenida sidewalk...


The Parol is an obiquitous presence in many Filipino homes during Christmas holidays


Avenida Rizal is a haven for those wanting to have a nice afternoon stroll, or those hunting for any cheap buys..


A lovely Christmas store window display I found in one of Avenida Rizal's posh bazaars.


Shopping for Christmas gift wrappers along Avenida Rizal

Sidewalk Toy vendors in Plaza Miranda Quiapo. They sell lighted toys that kids go crazy about. I was a little crazy, too...so I bought one for myself for only 30 pesos(I'm actually giving it as gift to my daughter)


A Philippine Christmas is not complete without the delicious Puto Bumbong and Bibingka served after the Simbang Gabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment