Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Quiapo, Child Vendors are considered more dangerous than thieves and robbers!




I was walking along in Plaza Miranda, Quiapo yesterday when I spotted this sign board which warns pedestrians against snatchers, thieves, and holduppers. But the sign mentioned that people should be more careful of child vendors selling plastic bags. I find it revolting that the Manila police detachment in the area found that this street child is more dangerous than all the other criminals in the area! Duh?

I bought one plastic bag from this boy and found him to be nice and very accommodating. He is obviously very poor, so I gave him a little extra. I am a frequent Quiapo pedestrian and I have always bought plastic bags from these child vendors, never having any problem with them.

It is a very irresponsible sign. My mind cannot fathom why poor little kids could be more dangerous than the hardened adult criminals in the city. I went to the nearby police detachment for some explanation. I cannot let this pass without doing something. The police told me that they received some complaints that street children selling plastic bags have been stealing change money from their customers. Well, that's possible if the customers are idiots who didn't know how to count their change and to be outwitted by small children.

These little children are poor and no longer go to school. They work hard to help their families. We should pity them rather than suspect them to be criminals. Yet some people are real idiots. And when they lose some money, they even suspect little children of stealing it. Real idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment