Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Nostalgia Trip:Jackie Chan and Teresa Teng



This video brings back so many beautiful memories of the past when I was hooked on Chinese love songs (well, actually up to now). I started listening to Chinese songs when I was teaching in St. Stephen's Chinese High School in Binondo way back when I was a freshman teacher. A student of mine gave me a gift of Teresa Teng cassette tape, which I find weird because I only knew very few Chinese phrase and words. But the cassette got me hooked and I started learning cantonese and mandarin. I also started collecting several Cd's of Teresa and Jackie Chan. Back then, I had a whole afternoon of free time (our classes were up to 12pm only), and every day I raided the old music shops in Ongpin, Chinatown to look for Teresa Teng cassettes. I eventually managed to collect virtually every Teresa Teng's tapes (and cd's later). I literally cried when I heard the news of her tragic death in 1995 at the age of 43.

**

My friends also usually find it weird that I have a penchant for old Chinese songs (although later they were borrowing my CDs). Well maybe I love music, and that's important. Music transcends language barriers. That's the reason I enjoy listening to a variety of songs in Japanese, Chinese, Spanish and even Indian songs. But I guess I love more the sweet mellow sound of Chinese love songs. And especially so if they were sung by Teresa Teng and Jackie Chan.

In this music video, Jackie Chan pays tribute to Teresa Teng, and this tribute could not have been better than to sing one of her favorite songs. Probably, Jackie still misses Teresa Teng. They had been lovers for quite sometime and Jackie admits that he still loved her. They could have been the ideal couple, both being superstars in Hongkong, China and Japan. But fate has willed differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment