Friday, January 16, 2009

Master Anos: The Exorcist


Master Anos
One of the most fascinating and bizarre sights I witnessed during the recent Feast Day of the Senyor Nazareno in Quiapo was a ritual of exorcism and faith healing performed in Plaza Miranda by the religious sect called Holy Divine El Santo Chapel headed by the blind Spiritual Healer, Master Herminigildo Anos, 58, of Fairview, Quezon City.

I am very fascinated by exorcism and so I decided to know more about it. Master Herminigildo Anos only granted me permission for a brief interview as he was very busy expelling demons from his patients.

How long have you been performing exorcism?

"I've been hunting and expelling demons for twenty years now. Some demons are tough, sometimes I have to expel them twice from my patient"

They come back?

"Yes. I always expel them, though"

What implements do you use to expel these demons?

"Powerful prayers. I would have to say them because they are of no use if somebody else would. I also use a special oil taken from different roots, as well as incense and holy water".

You are a Catholic?

"Yes"

How did you realize you have the power to expel demons?

"I just knew it after I was resurrected"

You died before?

"Yes. I was a victim of a terrible vehicular accident that killed me. Then after three days, I was resurrected by God, and given the power to heal the ill and expel demons from possessed people"

Exorcism in Quiapo

It was very fascinating, but my short interview was even more shortened because suddenly, a man nearby collapsed. Master Anos quickly declared that the man was "possessed". He immediately began work to exorcise the demon. The "possessed" man looked unconscious and was lying bare naked. But I can see that he was breathing. The blind master stepped on the man's chest and began to recite the "powerful prayers". Then Master Anos and his disciples made some loud strange shouting, compelling the demon to come out from the man.

The holy oil was then anointed on the forehead of the possessed man. Then a burning incense was hovered over the patient. Master Anos then instructed his disciples to cut some hair from the man so they can trace from whence the demon came. Then I saw a large 3-inch nail being pressed into the body of the possessed man, but it did not puncture the skin. Afterwards, the holy water--contained inside a bottle of rubbing alcohol-- was sprinkled over the man's body. The man, miraculously, was now gaining consciousness. Master Anos made him drink the holy water from the bottle of rubbing alcohol. The man stood up, put on his shirt, and as if nothing happened, walked away. Master Anos proudly declared that the demon has been expelled. The man has been exorcised.

anos4

Meantime, some people began to be possessed also. Many of them collapsed but Master Anos declared he could expel all their demons. And so a mass exorcism followed. Several photographers took the opportunity to take pictures, I among them. I took several photographs, but one of Master Anos' men began to be annoyed by the camera's presence and shouted, "Tama na yang mga piktyur nyo, naiistorbo kami!" .

Apparently, according to one woman disciple, some journalists in the past had reported their exorcism as "staged" and fake. They are now quite wary of press people. I do not work for the press although the presence of my professional camera led the man to believe I was. To appease the man, I pulled 50 from my pocket and slipped it inside their donation box. He smiled and said, "Ayos lang!"

Meantime, all the "possessed" people began gaining consciousness and each went through the ritual of exorcism capped by drinking the holy water that was contained in the bottle of rubbing alcohol. Master Anos declared that he succesfully defeated and expelled several demons. Some patients and observers dropped money in the donation box of Master Anos.

In fairness to Master Anos' group, they do not force people for donation of money. I only have a very limited contact with them. But I wanted to learn more about exorcism as it deeply fascinates me. But I guess I will have now difficulty learning more from Master Anos and his group as I had been preceded by the reporters who exposed their work in the past.

It seemed that Master Anos and his group are not regulars in Quiapo, although I have seen them also during last year's Quiapo Feast Day. According to the flyer they distributed around, their sect is duly registered at the Securities and Exchange Commission. Their church is located at Quezon City, and they invite all people who are ill and demon-possessed to consult the Master.

They guarantee that the demons will be expelled without mercy.

anos8


anos5









Exorcism in Quiapo


Exorcism in Quiapo


anos3


anos7


anos6


anos9


anos10


Master Anos

No comments:

Post a Comment