Saturday, January 10, 2009

The "Panatas" of the Seňor Nazareno

nazarenodevoto

January 9 is not only the Feast Day of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo, it is also a day to fulfill the sacred vows of Manila's male populace. In thousands, the men flock to Quiapo barefooted, pants rolled up to their knees, towels in head or shoulders, and wearing yellow or velvet shirts. They are called in the local parlance as "Panatas", the people who made a personal devotion to a sacred image, in this case the image of the Black Nazarene. Some of the "panatas" even vowed never to cut their hairs and beards until they completed the exact number of years of their devotion.

The devotion involves going to Quiapo on the Feast Day of the Black Nazarene, and to touch the sacred statue, a most daunting task since there will be hundreds of thousands of them wanting to touch the Black Christ. But it was only through this sacrifice that they could show the Senyor Nazareno their devotion, and at the same time show the spectators what real men are made of, willing to face the dangers of injuries and even death from stampede*. But for them, the sacrifice is small compared to the suffering endured by the Lord Jesus Christ. Some "Panatas" do it for a few years, others for a lifetime. In return, the "Panatas" ask the Senyor Nazareno for forgiveness of their sins, or to ask for special favors and wishes.


quiapo32


I have been fortunate and blessed to photograph many of the devotees of the Senyor Nazareno. I always favored photographing people than any other types of photography. For me, the common people are the most rewarding to photograph. The chance to meet new friends and make long lasting friendships is truly one of the great rewards in people photography. In this sense, the Filipino people are a shining example, as we are very friendly and loved to be photographed.

Some of the Nazarene devotees I photographed here have already become my friends. But many I just met once and then have lost somewhere in the maddening crowd of Quiapo. Through this gallery of portraits, I would like to pay tribute to my fellow devotees of the Black Nazarene. I would like to thank them for their kindness and goodwill and allowing me to photograph them. I am deeply honored because I am myself a "Panata" of the Senyor Nazareno.

Thank you my friends. Till we meet again.Viva Senyor Nazareno!

Please click on the image to view enlarged version, thanks!



































quiapo45


*In 2008, two devotees have been killed in the stampede. But thankfully there was no casualty this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment