Friday, May 8, 2009

How Can A Guy Who Looks So Creepy, Write Children's Poetry So Well?

Do you remember Shel Silverstein? Along with "Where The Wild Things Are", when I was a child, I had all of Shel Silverstein's poetry books. The guy wrote wonderful children's poetry, second only to Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss). His poems were fun, jaunty and simple, and were typically accompanied by a cute monochrome comic that add a cute and childlike touch. I know that his poetry will definitely be part of Noah's reading material.....

His amazing bibliography contains many popular books, including "A Giraffe and a Half", "The Giving Tree", "A Light In The Attic", "Falling Up" and "Where The Sidewalk Ends".

Did you know that Shel Silverstein passed away 10 years ago today, on May 8, 1999? Or that he was a famous songwriter and musician, and that he wrote the music and lyrics and won a Grammy in 1970 for "A Boy Named Sue " (which was performed by Johnny Cash).

Here's a video with animation, with the voice of Shel Silverstein reading "The Giving Tree".


And here's one of his most famous poems, titled "Hug O' War".


I was just going to post a link to Shel's website, where you'll find a lot of his animated poems and fun games, but I just found so much cool information about Mr. Silverstein that I felt like I had to share it with you.... Noah and I have been having a lot of fun perusing the nooks and crannies of the site....

Anyway, click on signature to go to his site:

No comments:

Post a Comment