Friday, May 1, 2009

Iloilo: A Glimpse of Town and People

iloilo2
To the average foot traveler, a walking tour of Iloilo city can be an exhausting experience. Iloilo is a big city, an old bustling commercial metropolis with a population of more than a half-million people. It is Panay island's cultural, religious, manufacturing and commercial center. Downtown Iloilo is so much like downtown Manila, one can easily get lost in the hub of the city.

I came to Iloilo not knowing exactly how to go about in this city. I have with me a street map and a small history book to guide me, but to get to know more about the city, I have to mingle with the locals. I knew only a scant of Ilonggo, but there won't be any dialect barrier as the Ilonggos are also conversant of Tagalog and English.

The Ilonggos are known for their sweet and melodious accent, which is quite unique among all the major languages of the Philippines. It is hard to describe exactly the tone of voice of the Ilonggos, but you can imagine it as the way you speak when you want a big special favor from your Dad. The result is heartwarming and you can easily fall in love with the language. During my brief stay in Iloilo, I tried to talk Ilonggo as much as I can, and in fact I have convinced a few Ilonggos that I was a natural born Ilonggo--which of course, I am not. But Ilonggo is quite easy to learn as it has a mixture of Tagalog and Spanish lexicons in its vocabulary.

The Ilonggos--like all the other Filipinos--are very hospitable. Yet the one thing that stands out about them are their wonderful sense of humor. It is quite easy to spot in the streets people conversing and having a good laugh. They love to tease in a loving way without earning the irk of another. I always spend time with people, interviewing and having small conversation.

The human touch is the most important aspect of my travels. The basic aim of my journeys is to make friends in the places I visit. I figured that if I just go around taking pictures of buildings I will end up being suspected as a terrorist or a voyeur. But I sit with people, I eat with them in carinderias, buy goods from the vendors, help the elderly cross the street, smile at them, and before I knew it--I was already accepted as a local! I always believe that people are just the same in all places. You smile and they smile back at you--and those who didn't must have a problem of their own--not yours.

I am just quite observant of the places I visit. Not really voyeurism in the sense, but because of my fascination to know more about the place and its people. And this fascination has led me to discover the beauty and goodwill in all people, and in this instance--the Ilonggos.

The following are the portraits of the Ilonggos I have met and and photographed during my brief stay in Iloilo province. I have always favored portrait photography as the most rewarding of all types of photography. It is the most difficult too, since there are people who do not wished to be photographed. But mostly, Filipinos loved to be photographed. They loved to see their faces on the LCD screen of cameras.

These portraits are my tribute to the Ilonggos. They may not represent the whole strata of Ilonggo society but they represent what the Ilonggos are in real life--loving, sweet, friendly, shy, and proud of their beloved town.

Thank you gid!

iloilo3


iloilo4
J.M. Basa Street is the main thoroughfare of downtown Iloilo.
You will find here the oldest buildings, shops, fine restaurants, and theaters.

ilonggos14
I love the smiles! Isn't it infectious?


miagao35
La Paz Batchoy--one of the prides of Ilonggo cuisine--is a noodle soup mixed with chicharon, thin slices of pork or chiken. It is best served steaming hot with a sprinkling of sinamak--a local concoction of vinegar, pepper and spices


ilonggos3
A fish seller showing his product.


ilonggos8
Can you pose for a photo? Not me.....him! hehehehe


ilonggos11
Gin-kodak ka dong, gin-palabas pa sa Yot-yub hehehe!


ilonggos1
Taking a break to read a local Hiligaynon newspaper


ilonggos2
A very charming young Ilongga seller of potato cakes.


ilonggos9
I'm sorry, I never liked to be photographed--unless its for cover of FHM! Hehehe


ilonggos10
Lola sells antique religious books from a different era.


ilonggos7
An Aeta street seller. The Aetas are the true aborigines of Iloilo.
There are a number of Aeta sellers in the sidewalks of downtown Iloilo, selling herbs and potions.

ilonggos5
Okay na ba ang pose ko Kuya? hihihi


ilonggos17


ilonggos13


ilonggos16


ilonggos6
No!!! Don't photograph me!

ilonggos15
Okay, okay isang piktyur lang ha? Kung saan ka masaya, suportahan ta ka.
Gin-padala mo gid sa akon ang print-out ha? Thank you gid!


ilonggos4


ilonggos12
I saw her...and she saw me..and we smiled at each other

No comments:

Post a Comment