Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Clear Day Ride Around Calbayog


Calbayog City is a small town located in the northwest portion of the province of Western Samar. I have made this place my adoptive town, and I am very proud of it. I have always made it a point to go here at least twice a year, and I feel very happy everytime I do so. It's rural provincial setting offers a relaxing retreat from the hub of the bustling metropolis I came from.

Unlike downtown Manila or Cubao with its rowdy crowd, noise, and traffic, Calbayog seemed a town from long ago, peaceful, rustic, and where people walk instead of ride in automobiles. I was amazed that almost everyone in a particular village knew each other. I live in Cubao and I barely know the guys living just next door to me. Here in Calbayog, I truly understood what the meaning of the word neighbor is.

Everytime I visit Calbayog, I always go around town, riding in the simple Trike, the Calbayognons' standard vehicle. The trike is just a bicycle with a cab appendage for the passengers. About two or three passengers can fit inside, depending on their sizes. Normally, aside from the regular seat inside, there is a small additional bench on the inside (near the driver) for a small child.

There are very few automobiles in Calbayog, and so the Calbayognons just ride the trike. A ride anywhere around the town is only 5 pesos. Actually the fare is not regulated unlike the Jeepney fare in Manila. In Calbayog, trike fare is a thing commonly agreed upon between the driver and the passenger. Of course, you pay some more if you have heavy baggages coming from the mercado or if you will be going to some of the far villages.

Most trike drivers do not own their trikes. The trikes are on a boundary basis, wherein the drivers will remit a certain fixed amount from his daily earnings to the owner. A few drivers, however, managed to earn enough to buy their own trike. But they were very few.

I have always admired the honesty and humility of the Calbayog trike drivers. Many of them are very poor but I have seen them happy and complacent in their work. There is really no age limit to being a trike driver. Some drivers are kids in their teens, and some in retiring age. I have met and befriended many of them throughout my frequent visits to their beautiful town, and I have promised to give them a tribute here in my blog, and I am doing so now.

So, come with me now for a clear day trike ride around Calbayog.....and imagine that our trike is magical-- it has wings! So just sit awhile and enjoy the ride!














Our trike driver takes a break for a hot morning coffee



The road to Dagum












A trike in front of Eduardo's Hotel


A panning shot of the trike (this was shot a year ago)





R. Deresma, the Trike Traffic Man of Calbayog City



I saw her, and she saw me...a beauteous trike rider....



...and another beauty...she didn't see me though...





A Lolo in Sunday best being given a small discount by a young trike driver.



Ice Cream while in a trike...nothing beats the combination!



An abandoned trike near the bagacay beach. Actually, the trike driver took a moment to splash himslef in the beach to escape the midday heat. His shirt is momentarily hung in his manibela.








My favorite trike driver. He always waits for me every morning in Eduardo's Hotel.


Hope you enjoyed the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment