Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Midnight Walk in Downtown Manila

Plaza Lacson at 11 P.M.

As was my usual custom, I went to downtown Manila last Friday to attend the traditional Quiapo evening mass. I arrived late in the evening, but was just in time for the last Eucharist service. I usually just sit at the far end of the pew at the back of the church.

Upon entrance I dipped my hand to the holy water being held by one of the ancient stone angels located near the entrance, and after that made a sign of the cross. I knelt for a while and try to contemplate on the homily. After receiving communion, I headed to the room of The Holy Sepulchre to say the rosary. A few people were already there and since there were no chairs or benches, some people were kneeling, and some in indian-sit position.

Everyone must remove their shoes prior to entering the air-conditioned room. So that other people will not run away with your shoes, a number tag was given that will serve as claim stub. No wonder the floor was very clean and shiny. In the entrance was a sign that reads: "Bawal Tumambay sa Loob". This was a warning to people not to use the Holy Sepulchre room to relax and cool themselves. Apparently, some people were caught in the past sleeping inside the air-conditioned room.

But none do so now. Everyone was saying their prayers, most were probably asking for blessings or personal favors to the Holy Altar. After saying my rosary, I bowed to the altar and proceeded outside to walk awhile.

Outside the Church, the sidewalk vendors offered me several merchandise like candles, rosaries, cigarettes, candies, toys, flowers, and a different assortments of what you'd usually find for sale in front of the church every Sunday. I did not buy anything except a small sampaguita necklace I will hang in the altar of my home.

There were also some beggars, street children and disabled people at the church's entrance. I bought a plastic bag from one of the boys and gave some coins to the beggars and disabled people. I always pity them, and wish I were as rich as Lucio Tan so I can give them food everyday, or better, livelihood. But I was only a middle-class person also trying to survive the economic crisis in our poor republic.

As my usual habit, I tried to photograph some night sceneries with my camera, while walking the little familiar streets of downtown Quiapo and Avenida Rizal. It was already past 11 in the evening, and I began to notice that many of the stores were already closing down. Some vendors were already packing their merchandise, and many were already on their way back home after the usual hectic day.

Downtown Manila in late evening is an interesting sight to behold. The cool breeze of October air and the lonely glow of the incandescent street lamps added to the nostalgic ambiance of the general atmosphere.

Like Cubao, downtown Manila assumes a different personality after the last daylights disappeared from the sky. And here I have recorded the familiar sights of Manila....by night...It was not all lovely, but I guess you will agree that these images make Manila one of the most interesting cities in the Far East.

So, let me invite you to a romantic walk with me in the lovely streets of downtown Manila in a fine cool late evening.


It's closing time


Once in a while, a few jeepneys still ply downtown to bring night

workers to their respective homes.


Corner of Avenida Rizal and Recto.11:30 pm


Fishballs for sale for the night workers


Preparing tomorrow's merchandise



The jeepney is an obiquitous presence in the downtown, even at very late in the evening.



Plaza Miranda, Quiapo, right after the last evening mass


The sidewalk vendors trying to sell their wares near the front of the Church


After a hard day's work, a play of cards is a welcome relaxation.


Street kids of Avenida. Tired of begging, and ready to sleep.


Shopping for the pirated dvds.



Near the famous Quinta Market


Avenida sidewalk. Or known as the bangketa.


Going home


The kalesa, once the proud king of downtown, is just now considered a curiosity ride in Manila.


Waiting for the jeepneys.


The cigarette and candy man of Carriedo


Ambulant cigarette vendor


A street scenery in Carriedo





The pirated cds and dvds are very popular in Manila.



In front of the newly-renovated Cinerama, an old stomping ground during my college days.



The Dama players of Avenida. Even Kasparov will be hard-pressed to beat them in Dama.


In Manila as in Cubao, sleep is wherever you can find it.


A tender toddler plays in the bangketa of Avenida, while pedestrians walk past her from all directions.


The pedicab man must work even late at night to support his family.



While the other pedicab drivers patiently wait for their midnight riders


But this man was too tired to wait. His faithful pedicab serves as a makeshift bed to doze off for a while.


The old Dilson cinema in Azcarraga (now C.M. Recto Avenue)


Mother and child in an almost deserted Avenida Rizal. 12 am.


So long!

No comments:

Post a Comment