Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Journey to Panay Island (3)

dsc22
At 12 am, our ship the MV Starlite Atlantic began to leave Roxas Port for our voyage to Caticlan, Panay Island. We will be crossing the Tablas Strait, the sea that separates the Mindoro and Panay islands. It will be some four and a half hour of sea voyage-- so I better find a seat to rest for a while. I did find one in the uppermost level of the ship. The ship was bigger than the one we boarded earlier, but it was also quite crowded. Thankfully there are enough benches to accommodate everyone, plus a few extras for those wanting to sleep in a curl up fetal position. The ship was well ventilated by the sea air which made the sea voyage quite cool and comfortable.

moonlitnight
From above, the hazy glow of full moon gives some lovely romantic reflections unto the now gentle sea surface. The moon seemed to give a mellow ambiance into the genial mood of our sea voyage. Except for the moon and the streaks of lovely clouds, the sky was starless and the gentle winds just give a refreshing respite into the otherwise humid atmosphere.

From the horizon, I could figure out some lonely silhouettes of islands and islets in stark darkness against the ambient glow of the moon. I was now so faraway from my family and friends, and despite the crowds in the ship, I felt alone.

They say that a sea voyage on a moonlit night is able to make poets and composers out of men. I remember that Rizal created the poem "By the Pasig" while he was on a lovely moonlit night walk with his lovely Leonor Rivera. And certainly Beethoven was inspired to compose his famous "Moonlight Sonata" while seeing the gentle reflections of the moon on a beautiful lake in Switzerland.

Yet I am not a composer and a writer, and the length of land and sea travel already numbed my artistic senses for composition. I decided to occupy one of the empty benches and tried to sleep for a few hours, knowing that I still have several hours of travel ahead of me. At first I couldn't sleep, but my tired body finally gave up and I slept for two hours.

I woke up at around 2 am. I pulled myself to a sitting position on the bench and put on my leather jacket. I walked to the rail of the ship to view the horizon. I assumed that we are now on the very middle of the Tablas Strait. There was nothing much to see except for occasional silhouettes of islands from beyond the horizon.

I walked to the canteen and ordered a chicken sandwich and a hot 3-in-1 instant coffee which was very soothing and regenerated my now somewhat fatigued body. I noticed that most of my fellow passengers were sleeping along the benches while some--especially the men-- stood on the rails smoking and chatting. The atmosphere was quite relaxed and the only sound that you can hear are the hushed sound of the ship's engine as it silently glided its way deeper unto the middle of the sea, and the gentle sound of the waters as it quietly splashed into the ship's hull.

dsc21
At 4 am, we finally reached the Port of Caticlan, Aklan, Panay Island. We debarked the ship to continue our land travel by bus. This was the first time that I was able to set foot in Panay island.

Now ahead of me is still some six hours and 230 kilometers of land travel through the provinces of Aklan, Capiz, Antique, and finally Ilo-ilo, where I decided to spend my Holy Week. The road condition from Caticlan to Ilo-ilo was mostly good with occasional under construction and dirt roads along the way. There are too many blind curves along the route mostly in the border of Capiz and Aklan.


dsc10
An early morning street scene in Kalibo, Aklan. 6 am April 7, 2009


dsc14
Intersection road along the National Hi-Way, Kalibo Aklan


dsc15
Our kindly bus driver was now replaced by a reserve driver who was quite experienced driving along these torturous roads in Panay island.


dsc11
Restrooms along the provincial roads.


dsc23
A mid-morning market scene in Dumarao, Capiz


dsc24
And finally, by 12pm, I reached Ilo-ilo City. How about that! Behind me now was more than 24 hours of combined sea and land travel--that's more than 500 kilometers of road travel--not including the hundreds of nautical miles covered by our two sea voyages! It's nice to finally reach my destination. But first I have to settle my things into a nice hotel. After the torturous journey, I think I deserve a good hotel accommodation in the city. And I will have to find it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment