Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pregnancy

Are you pregnant? My wife and I are.... Well, she is..... But I helped....

Anyway, when we got pregnant with Noah.... Fine, when Colleen was pregnant with Noah..... I knew almost nothing about pregnancy and children.... I read through the "What To Expect When You're Expecting", but that book was technical and boring....

I also bought approximately ten 'So, You're Going To Be A New Dad" genre books.... They were horrible! The books were usually unhelpful.

For instance, some books gave two sides of the coin for every part of the pregnancy, explaining to the reader that their partner (wife, girlfriend, or random woman they knocked up) might need them to take care of preparing dinner during the first trimester, however, some women may enjoy preparing dinner during their first trimester.

Some of the books were written for father who need things to be simple for them.... 'Babies should not be dropped. You need to feed the baby. Don't squeeze the baby too tight.'

Some 'new father' books tried to scare the crap out of the readers, explaining to the reader that their partner will be a raging lunatic for the next nine months, so they better hold on!

What does that tell me? I just want a book that talks to me like I'm somewhat intelligent, makes me laugh a little, and helps me understand what is going on. What kinds of changes are happening in my wife's body? What does the baby look like now? What should I expect? What should she expect?

Well, sorry Bono, but I've finally found what I was looking for.


Susan Magee wrote this book with the help of Dr. Kara Nakisbendi. The book is a good read for both men and women, it doesn't make you feel like an idiot while you're reading it, and it will give you (the father) a reasonable insight on what is going on with your partner. And.... IT HAS WIT AND HUMOR TOSSED IN THROUGHOUT THE BOOK! It's actually funny!

The book provides a day-by-day countdown during the (give or take) 280 days of pregnancy, mingled with advice from other mothers from their experiences during pregnancy, along with medical information.

I can't recommend it more.... It's a great book and I recommend it to any new or repeat father-to-be....

No comments:

Post a Comment