Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Just Saved You From A Trip To Baker

Since my 'I Just Saved You From A Trip To Barstow' post was so popular, I figured I'd try it again....

Yesterday, I had to trek up to Las Vegas from Southern California for work.... Shortly after you pass the Zyzzx Road exit on the 15 freeway, you reach the small town of Baker, California.


The main attraction in Baker is the 'World's Tallest Thermometer'!


The thermometer is 134 feet tall and records temperatures up to 134 degrees Fahrenheit (a tribute to the record high temperature recorded in 1913).




As you can see, it was a sultry 84 degrees in the desert yesterday.....


I could have stopped at the infamous 'Mad Greek' restaurant, but I decided to take a chance and go to Bob's Big Boy. I have many memories of going to the Bob's Big Boy with my grandfather when he would pick me up after elementary school....


The 'Breakfast Buffet' is apparently a big draw at the Big Boy, but it was 2:00 pm when I entered the establishment and the buffet was still out. It looked like the buffet food hadn't been touched touched for a few hours, so it was easy to pass on the trays of hardened biscuits gravy and the scrambled eggs with an orange hue....


Seeing the Big Boy statue brought back so many memories of enjoying lunch with my Grandfather.... Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the food this time.... The food quickly took on a 'rigor mortis' form at the bottom of my tummy....


One last question for all my Canadian readers.... The Bob's Big Boy had a 'Canadian Cheese Soup'.... They were all out of the soup when I attempted to order, and the waitress had no idea what was in the soup.... Do you guys have any ideas of what could be in the 'Canadian Cheese Soup'?

No comments:

Post a Comment