Sunday, October 29, 2006

Calbayog City: A Glimpse of Rural Town

Calbayog is a very small city located in the coast of northwestern Samar. I have fallen in love with this small town because of its people and its beauty. During my frequent visits to Calbayog, I always bring along my camera for wanting to share with you how in a far corner of the Philippines live a precious little town with its lovely and hospitable people. I have fallen in love with one of their kind, and feel blessed that I do. When I grow old, I'd like to build a little house on a hill overlooking one of the lovely beaches in Calbayog. Then I'd spend the rest of my days looking at those lovely seas, to wonder at the beautiful sunset while waiting for the herald of the moonlit bay.

Calbayog City at early morning, seen from a distance while I was riding in one of the bancas.


A typical morning scenery at Calbayog Port


The street musicians of Calbayog. A few coins will be very much appreciated.


Roadside cafe near the Calbayog Port. Isn't this scene lovely? You can order brewed native coffee for 8 pesos and a freshly baked suman for 5pesos.


One of the old houses in the city. Calbayog is still filled with century old houses like this. In the upper floor still live the owner of the house, while the lower floor has been converted to accomodate modern amenities like internet cafes, or beauty parlors.


This is the road that will take you to the deep villages in Calbayog.


One of the main roads. As you can see, automobiles are still rare in Calbayog. It is really a small city so most residents prefer to ride in the trikes to go around the city.


Dusk at Maharlika Hi-Way, Calbayog City. This is the main road of Calbayog City(now renamed Avelino Street).

Calbayog is a very clean city. Now you know why. (Translation of the sign: Anyone who will throw garbage is dead). Hehehe.

NIGHT SCENES

Dusk at Calbayog Market



Carlos and Carmelo's Burger and Pizza, one of my favorite dining places in Calbayog City.


A trycicle is needed if you want to go to the deep villages in Calbayog. These local taxis can carry some eight people and charges 10 pesos.


Along Nijaga Street in Calbayog.


Popcorn stall near Navarro Street.


The refreshment seller. The mango juice is 5 pesos per plastic cup.


Trike Terminal. Each ride around the city is 5 pesos. Believe it or not!


Along J.D. Avelino Street


Riding the trike around the city is one great experience. I don't understand Waray language, but the Warays understand Tagalog, so no problem! I just tell my trike driver,"Ipasyal mo ko sa buong Calbayog". Off we go!

Going home and buying for pasalubong of "Lechon Manok".

No comments:

Post a Comment