Thursday, March 11, 2010

Antiques Roadshow - Highs And Lows

For the first time ever, a group of items displayed on the 'Antiques Roadshow' program on PBS have been appraised for up to $1,070,000. This is the first time items have been appraised for more than $1,000,000!


The collection consists of four pieces of carved jade and celadon dating to the reign of the Qianlong emperor (1735-1796) in China.

The collection breakdown includes:

Small Bowl - $30,000 to $50,000
Vase - $80,000 to $120,000
Dragon - $200,000 to $300,000
Large Bowl - $400,000 to $600,000

The pieces were inherited from her father, who had been a liaison in the Army stationed in Beijing. While in Beijing, her father became good friends with a Chinese man who had a jade shop.... Whenever her father's friend would come across a nice item, he would offer her father the item first....



I think I would have been a little more excited after hearing the news that I may have just become a millionaire.... I think I would have taken my clothes off and run around the auditorium while pointing my fingers in the air like six shooters and making cute little gun noises (like Sarah Palin does during her speeches)! Pew! Pew! Pew!


Unfortunately for the owner of the collection, after her appearance on 'Antiques Roadshow', the four pieces were sold at an auction for a total of $494,615.

Now that built up this ivory (or jade in this case) tower, I'm left with no other choice, I have to knock it down.... On the British (original) version of Antiques Roadshow, a man brought in a glass bottle for appraisal, which he noted was recently purchased for 1,000 pounds (approximately $1,500 US)....

(Not the actual glass bottle.... I just wanted to include a visualization....)

After examining the glass bottle, the appraiser determined that the bottle was just an empty olive oil bottle from Tesco (Shopping Center) and made in 2008 - and therefore worth nothing....

No comments:

Post a Comment