Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pinoy Street Foods


It seemed ages ago when, as a high school student, I was saved from starving at school by street food. I had a limited daily allowance then, and what was being served at the school canteen was either too bland for my taste or too expensive for my wallet. Luckily, in front of our school were numerous vendors and stalls waiting for the bell to ring at dismissal time. When the gates opened and the students came rushing out, many of us would enjoy a feast of skewered snacks such as fish balls, kikiam, tukneneng, kwek kwek, and so many others. I don’t know how they do it, but the street food sellers seem to have a magical way of making their merchandise look and taste great.

I was and still am a big fan of street food. I still enjoy dipping my tukneneng and kwek kwek in a spicy vinegar sauce, eating my palitaw on a banana leaf, munching on Boy Bawang cornick while on a road trip, crackling a balut egg at 12 midnight, sipping a cup of hot taho at 6 in the morning, and eating one-day-old chicks as topping on my rice.

I have been eating these for as long as I can remember. In our local neighborhood in Cubao, there are countless vendors selling street food at any time of day, delighting everyone who craves for them.

Please continue reading the entire article here at the Philippine Online Chronicles!


No comments:

Post a Comment